Shelly Beach in KwaZulu Natal is popular holiday destination named after the abundance of sea shells that wash up on its beaches. There is a tidal pool at the small craft harbour and stretches of beautiful stretches of beach with fantastic rock and surf fishing. Located between St Michael’s on Sea and Port Shepstone with Great shopping and only about an hour and half’s drive to Durban, it is close enough for a weekend breakaway for those lucky enough to live in Natal.
Shelly Beach is a popular diving and snorkeling destination with and abundance of aquatic species and varieties of tropical fish, sharks and corals. Protea Banks is a unique reef with an incredible topography. It has a huge diversity of game fish, sharks, whales and dolphins that make it popular for pleasure trips, fishing and shark diving.
The well-known “Sonny Evans Small Craft Harbour”, which is walking distance to the nearby “Shelly Shopping Centre”, offers fishing charters, whale watching and boat rides throughout the year.
What to do in Shelly Beach in KwaZulu Natal.
The “Shelly Centre” and “The Mall” offer a range of shopping outlets and movie houses should you choose to stray away from the beach. There are top restaurants and food outlets in the area as well as events throughout the holiday seasons to keep you entertained.
Nearby is Pure Venom Reptile Park which is said to be the largest reptile farm in Africa. It has an amazing collection of indigenous and exotic reptiles including alligators and crocodiles. There is a curio shop that sells curios, unique clothing and accessories. So pop into the ‘Creepy Curio Shop’ when you visit the park.
The Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve is inland with spectacular views and wildlife. Lake Eland Game Reserve is about 45 minutes’ drive away with 2500 hectares of diverse ecosystems of bushveld, grassland, coastal forest and wetlands. You can choose to self-game drive to view the abundant wild life and flora. There is the exciting 80m suspension bridge to walk across and the Zip Line Tour. It has specific 4×4 tracks, mountain bike trails Horse riding, walking, paint ball, fishing and picnic sites.
There is a wonderful selection of seafront self-catering, holiday properties with stunning breakers sea views are all along this coastal town.
- Uvongo Flea Market - May 1, 2022 - December 31, 2023 - 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- 2nd Annual Pennington Festival of Golf - December 2, 2023 - December 3, 2023 - 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Mexico Street 2 Strip Cash Days - December 2, 2023 - 7:00 am - 6:30 pm
- A Rex-cellent Christmas adventure at Dino Park - December 2, 2023 - December 18, 2023 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Matric Breakaway - December 5, 2023 - December 7, 2023 - 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Summer Day Party at The Village - December 8, 2023 - 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Margate Mardi Gras - December 8, 2023 - 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Let's GO Summer 2023/2024 - December 14, 2023 - 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- 14 - 16 December- Love Summer 2023/2024 Festival - Coca Cola - Wild Coast Sun Main Beach - December 14, 2023 - December 16, 2023 - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Oribi Gorge Farmers Market - December 15, 2023 - December 17, 2023 - 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Mr, Miss & Mrs Margate 2023/24 - December 15, 2023 - 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Margate Mardi Gras - December 15, 2023 - 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Gas Live - 2023 - December 16, 2023 - 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Celebrate summer with Wild Coast Sun Gin Festival - December 16, 2023 - 12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Comedy with Karou Charou ” Certified Madhir” - December 16, 2023 - 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
- Love Summer Festival - Wild Coast Sun Wild Waves Water Park - December 17, 2023 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Let’s GO Summer - San Lameer at Marina Main Beach - December 18, 2023 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Let’s GO Summer Festival at St. Michaels Beach - December 18, 2023 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Christmas Lunch at The Lighthouse Restaurant - December 18, 2023 - 12:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Let’s GO Summer Festival at Ramsgate Main Beach - December 19, 2023 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm